You may not find a MOOC which helps you develop the soft skills you want. Or you may have found the MOOC but it’s not open when you really want to study. Another option is to look for Open Educational Resources, commonly known as OERs.
The main difference between MOOCs and OERs is that the latter are not courses, and therefore do not usually include learning activities. So in the field of soft skills and digital soft skills, you’ll most probably be looking for resources where the content itself deals with these questions. How you then put this new knowledge into practice is a different question. You might decide to write a blog post about what you’ve learnt (skills = digital communication, reflexion), or you might decide to curate a topic (…). Whatever activity you invent around these resources, you will almost certainly be demonstrating autonomy and critical thinking, and no doubt creativity!
To help you find OERs, many countries have national portals. Here is a selection from the eLene4work partner countries:
- Sup-numérique is the national digital portal for higher education. It includes a search engine for OERs, most of which have been produced by the Themtic Digital Universities.
- Risorse per docenti dai progetti nazionali
A collection of proposals for the lifelong learning and training of teachers. Action for professional development of teachers and promoted by the National Operational Programme 2007/2013, out of the European Social Fund PON-ESF "Competence Development". Target: school teachers
- Risorse per Studenti
This is a toolbox for studying from home and school. In the portal, students will find tools and content for: the "recupero dei debiti formativi" ("learning debits recovery”) , the in-depth analysis of the topics covered in class, or suggestions to simply study in a different way. Target: school students
Germany: [link to OER]
Web service to support teaching and learning and their development. The site's specific objective is to support ICT educational use of ICT. Target: teachers from primary to tertiary level of education.
Web community for finding, authoring and sharing open educational resources. Targeted to teachers.
Social media supporting learning network (SOMETU)
SOMETU is targeted for teachers and anyone interested in current discussion and meetings on topic social media for education. It offers platform for discussion, areas for group discussion and collaboration, information on activities, meetings and publications and blog writings on the topic.
- Finnish National Board of Education (FNBE)
Finnish National Board of Education is a national development agency. FNBE is responsible for the development of early childhood education and care, pre-primary, basic, general upper secondary, vocational upper secondary and adult education. The Finnish National Board of Education publishes e.g. monitoring information, brochures and thematic leaflets and is involved in the exchange of international information on education through European networks.
The Finnish Broadcasting Corporation (YLE) offers free-of-charge educational and informative content in YLE Learning. It includes access to thousands of educational video and audio clips and to thousands of interactive exercises related to various on-line learning materials. The service is divided into five categories: Learning, Media and technology, Learning to learn, Life skills, People and society, and Languages. It is targeted to teachers and students and to anyone interested.
- Development of distance learning programs in the direction of higher education – Informatics
Teaching materials and multimedia packages.
Target: students and teachers
- Digital school
Government programme launched in 2012 in Poland, including the creation of e-books. The programme develops the competence of pupils and teachers in the use of ICT.
Target: school students and teachers
- Open AGH
Repository of open educational resources prepared by the staff, students and graduates of the University of Science and Technology in Krakow.
Target: students and teachers
- O2 UOC
This is an institutional repository of the Universitat Oberta de Catalunya where the information is organised by subject so that it can be found more easily.
Target: University teachers and researchers
- Ministry of Education in Spain
The Ministry of Education offers electronic resources such as magazines, databases or education guides.
Target: Teachers and students
This is a network of Open Educational Resources which offers information regarding communities, resources, articles and events.
Target: Teachers and students
- In the UK, the Open University has released a range of distance learning materials through the OpenLearn project. Over 80 UK OER projects have released a large number of resources (via Jorum) which are used to support teaching in institutions and across a range of subject areas. Jorum claims to be the UK’s largest repository for OERs for Higher Education, Further education and vocational skills development.
- HELIOS. This is the repository of the National Hellenic Research Foundation (NHRF), operates according to international standards and provides free and unrestricted access to scientific content produced by researchers at NHRF.
- Pandektis. A digital thesaurus of primary sources for Greek History and Culture administered by the National Documentation Centre.
- The National Archive of PhD Theses
An initiative of the Flemish Government, the platform contains resources on various topics.
- Le Portail de l’Enseignement en Fédération Wallonie-Bruxelles
A list of resources on active citizenship. An initiative of the Fédération Wallonie-Bruxelles.
- European Schoolnet Academy
A platform where you can find online professional development courses for teachers in primary and secondary schools.The courses offered on this platform are completely free of charge.
And here are some international initiatives:
The POERUP wiki, from the Lifelong Learning Programme project on Policies for the Uptake of OERs, where you can find OER initiatives from your own country and many others.
The OER worldmap https://oerworldmap.org/