Learning Through Eportfolios
Learning through ePortfolios is a 18-week course in which you'll learn the benefits of a personal learning environment and how to develop one. You'll also develop a blog and a professional web page, and read about learning and communication theories behind these online tools to enhance your understanding and creativity in their use. This course is appropriate for professional development, for students who want to organize their learning, and for anyone who wants to develop a presence online.
In this course you will be:
- Reading about eportfolios and personal learning environments (PLEs)
- Researching eportfolios
- Developing pages in the ePortfolio environment
- Reflecting in a journal, using the journal function of ePortfolio
- Discussing major concepts
- Engaging within an ePortfolio group
- Participating in group activities, such as creating a group page and building a database together
- Articulate the multiple purposes of eportfolios within the current environment, as well as the educational and professional contexts from which eportfolios evolved.
- Summarize and analyze concepts from articles related to ePortfolios and learning researched over the term.
- Navigate an ePortfolio environment, including the following: portfolio, journal, publication, forums.
- Articulate the importance of reflection in the learning process by applying reflective practices in a reflective journal throughout the course.
- Understand basic communication concepts—audience, authenticity, web page usability—and apply these concepts to a public ePortfolio.
- Provide feedback on others’ eportfolios, applying concepts of public communication and constructive feedback.
- Understand concepts related to community engagement online, and apply those concepts as a member of a learning community.
The course has eight modules, most of which are two weeks each. In each module, for each topic in the course, you'll complete readings, participate in discussions, create journal entries, and complete various ePortfolio assignments. All assignments will be done in an ePortfolio environment you'll learn to create, so you'll learn how to use an ePortfolio system in a very concrete way.
Badges for the assignments.
- Soft skills Learning to learn, Content creation
- Language English
- Other languages (eg. Subtitles) Unknown
- Period of activation Periodicaly opened
- Date Unknown
- Duration 8 weeks
- Level of commitment required 16 hours total
- Cost Unknown * See platform for details
- Providing institution Suny Empire State College
- Mooc Platform Canvas
- Target group a wide range of audiences (no requirements)
- Instructor dr Susan Oaks, dr Betty Hurley, dr Jase Teoh
- Level of assistance offered the course is instructor-led.
- Keywords Learning to learn, digital content creation, managing digital identity