Effective Problem-Solving and Decision-Making
Critical thinking – the application of scientific methods and logical reasoning to problems and decisions – is the foundation of effective problem solving and decision making.
Critical thinking enables us to avoid common obstacles, test our beliefs and assumptions, and correct distortions in our thought processes. Gain confidence in assessing problems accurately, evaluating alternative solutions, and anticipating likely risks.
Learn how to use analysis, synthesis, and positive inquiry to address individual and organizational problems and develop the critical thinking skills needed in today’s turbulent times.
Using case studies and situations encountered by class members, explore successful models and proven methods that are readily transferable on-the-job.
The course is a part of a 10-course series, the .
Week 1: Introduction to introduction to problem solving
- Quiz: Module 1 Quiz
Week 2: Charts and diagrams
- Module 2
- Quiz: Module 2 Quiz
Week 3: Decision making methods
- Module 3
- Quiz: Module 3 Quiz
Week 4: Implementing decisions
- Module 4
- Quiz: Module 4 Quiz
There are four modules in this course. Each module has a corresponding quiz.
Course learning objectives:
- Choose and apply appropriate problem solving and decision making processes and methods
- Identify common obstacles to effective problem solving and decision making
- Recognize the human variable in problem solving and decision making
- Assess major conceptual blocks and significant situational challenges
- Apply concepts to enhancing personal development and organizational performance
- Explain the key elements of problem solving and decision making and the barriers associated with them
Course components: videos, readings, lecture slides, assessments (4 quizzes – each contains from 5 to 10 questions)
Participants are allowed one try for each quiz every eight hours and they need to achieve an 80% or higher on all quizzes in order to pass the class. You may take the quizzes as many times as you like.Course Certificates are co-branded by Coursera and University of California, Irvine Extension.Certificate after completed the course ($ 35)
- Soft skills Problem solving
- Language English
- Other languages (eg. Subtitles) Vietnamese, Spanish
- Period of activation Self-paced
- Date Unknown
- Duration 4 weeks
- Level of commitment required Undefined
- Cost Free MOOC, Paying certification * See platform for details
- Providing institution University of California, Irvine
- Mooc Platform Coursera
- Target group This course will appeal to a wide range of audiences. There are no course prerequisites; no previous business experience is necessary.
- Instructor Rob Stone
- Level of assistance offered Lack of availability of teacher (with an access to a course – audit only)
- Keywords Decision making, problem solving, critical thinking, decision making methods