Enhance Your Career and Employability Skills
Week One: What do you want? – Self Awareness
- What do you need from your career? Identifying and assessing careers values.
- Self-discovery or self-creation – where does your true career identity reside?
- Can you predict what will make you happy? Common problems in anticipating the future.
Week Two: What can you offer? – Skills Awareness
- Can you speak the secret language of skills? Evidence your achievements in a meaningful way.
- Making yourself instantly attractive. What skills are employers asking for?
- How can you build your skills? Education and experience – what’s the best investment?
Week Three: Are you ready to find success? – Career Readiness
- Are you open to opportunities? What behaviours increase your chances of getting lucky breaks?
- Are you using the right methods? Which ways of finding opportunities are right for you?
- Can you create your own job? Intrapreneurship and entrepreneurship.
Week Fou How do you express yourself? – Articulating Your Experiences
- Are you using the right medium for the message? CVs, portfolios and other ways of selling yourself.
- Your personal brand. What does your on-line profile say about you?
- Can you decode job descriptions? A step-by-step process for preparing better applications
Week Five: What impact do you make? – Making a Good Impression in Person
- Do interviews always have to be nerve-wracking? The secrets to interview confidence.
- Can you deal with bad interviewers? Common interviewer weaknesses and how to use them.
- Can you increase the chances that people will like you? Maximising first impressions.
Week Six: How do you build fruitful relationships? – Networking Online and in Person
- Does networking actually work? The benefits of loose ties.
- Are you using online media effectively? How LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter can help your career.
- Is networking just for job hunting? The social workplace and the power of relationships
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the drivers behind your career preferences and choices
- Identify the skills which you can offer and know your current skills gaps
- Recognise opportunities for your career enhancement both within and beyond your current employer
- Summarise your achievements and skills in appropriate formats for future employers or academic institutions
- Perform effectively in a face-to-face encounter such as an interview or during a presentation
- Extend and make most effective use of your professional network both on and off line
This course will consist of a variety of methods with material being presented in clear, sequential units and regular opportunities to reflect on the non-linear aspects of this subject. The course will consist of self-reflective exercises and questionnaires, active reading tasks, short segmented videos of lecturer-led delivery accompanied by slides, practical assignments (e.g. informational interviewing) and short segmented videos of related activities (e.g. mock interviews) to provide feedback on.There will be activities to complete and opportunities to contribute each week. There will be self-evaluation questionnaires to help you monitor your own progress. However, given the nature of this course, there will be no final examination.
No final examination.For each week of the course teachers will designate a core activity that is the most useful exercise to help people make progress, and they will also suggest additional exercises that might be beneficial. However, every one will have different needs and different circumstances, and some exercises may be more beneficial than others. Teachers will try to explain what each activity could do for a students and they encourage them to select the exercises that seem most useful to them personally.
- Soft skills Self evaluation, Communication, Leadership
- Language English
- Other languages (eg. Subtitles) Unknown
- Period of activation Unknown
- Date Unknown
- Duration 6 weeks
- Level of commitment required 3-6 hours/week
- Cost Free * See platform for details
- Providing institution NO MORE AVAILABLE
- Mooc Platform Coursera
- Target group Students
- Instructor Unknown
- Level of assistance offered Unknown
- Keywords Career, employability skills, self awareness, It basic knowledge, it security