Introduction to People Management
Do you aspire to be an ideal people manager? The journey from being an individual contributor to a people manager requires significant personal development and growth. If you are a first time manager, you may have asked yourself:
- Where did I go wrong in managing this particular employee?
- How should I give feedback to my subordinates?
- How do I handle potential assessments?
- How should I motivate people who report to me?
The objective of this business and management course is to smoothen the transition for newly appointed people managers, motivate and guide people who are aspiring to become one and to think back and reflect for seasoned managers.
The course will provide learners with an enhanced understanding of the role of people management in organizational context.
Week 1: Introduction to People Management
Difference between People Management and Human Resource Management; impact of individual and organizational factors on people management.
Week 2: Getting Work Done Through Others
Challenges of getting work done; significance of prioritization and assigning work to team members.
Week 3: Assessment and Evaluation
Concept of performance management and role of a manager in the different stages of the performance management process.
Week 4: Meet Professor
Live interaction with students.
Week 5: Building Peer Networks
Understanding the importance of peer networks in an organization; being able to influence those on whom you have no authority.
Week 6: Managing Self
Reflection on what does it mean to be a people manager; building a personal development plan for oneself.
What you'll learn:
- Gain an overview of what it means to be an effective people manager.
- Have a deeper understanding of the different aspects of people management.
- Be able to appreciate the challenges faced by a first time manager.
- Reflect on your managerial experiences.
xMocc (based on transmission of contents through video, documents, tests)
No info at the moment
- Soft skills Teamwork, Leadership
- Language English
- Other languages (eg. Subtitles) Unknown
- Period of activation Periodicaly opened
- Date Unknown
- Duration 6 weeks
- Level of commitment required 4 hours/week
- Cost Free MOOC, Paying certification * See platform for details
- Providing institution IIMBx (Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore) Instructo Vasanthi Srinivasan (Professor, Organizational Behaviour and Human Resource Management, IIM Bangalore)
- Mooc Platform edx
- Target group StudentsProfessionalManagers
- Instructor Unknown
- Level of assistance offered Self-learning
- Keywords People management, human resource,