Becoming a Resilient Person - The Science of Stress Management
The purpose of this course is to teach individuals the science behind becoming a resilient person. Stated simply, resilience is the ability to survive and thrive. Resiliency is not only about your ability to positively adapt in the face of adverse or challenging circumstances (that is, survive), but it is also about learning the positive skills, strategies and routines that enable you to live a happy, fulfilling, and meaningful life (in other words, thrive). This course gives you the permission to take care of yourself in order to effectively manage life stressors and do what matters most in life.
Week 1 - Course Overview, Key Terms, and Introduction Week 2 - Values Clarification and Commitment: Clarifying and doing what matters most in life Week 3 - Awareness and Empowerment through Mindfulness-Based Practices Week 4 - Paying Attention to the Positive and Practicing GratitudeWeek 5 - Managing Intense Negative Emotions and Cultivating Positive Ones Week 6 - Therapeutic Lifestyle Choices (TLCs): Cheap, readily available choices that enhance mental and physical health
Week 7 - Connecting with Others in Meaningful Ways: Social support, mentoring, and role models
When you complete this course, you will be able to:
- Describe why ‘functioning from the inside out’ is critical to becoming a resilient, effective person
- Explain the benefits of resilience and how the specific skills translate into optimizing social-emotional wellbeing and doing what matters most in life
- Directly practice a variety of resilience skills in different aspects of your life, including but not limited to:
- Mindfulness practices
- Strategies to manage intense emotions
- Activities that induce positive emotions
- Clarifying important personal values (that is, what matters most) and committing to behaving consistent with them
- Making health lifestyle choices that are cheap and readily available, yet promote well-being
- Describe why ‘practicing’ and integrating resilience skills into one’s life is critical to making them a habit and becoming a resilient person
- Develop a resilience plan that serves as a roadmap for your future
Each weeks contains basic video materials and dedicated assignment (mostly off-line with so-called “practice partner”). These forms of learning are complemented by readings, websites and quizzes.
The passing score for quizzes is set at 50% and your lowest quiz score will be dropped from the final grade so that one lower score on a quiz, or if you missed the quiz, doesn't affect your final grade. The other part of the grading is to participate in Discussion Forums about your experiences applying the resilience skills. This will allow for reflection and figuring out whether you want to move forward with particular skills, habits, or routines by integrating them into your life.
- Soft skills Communication, Self evaluation, Adaptability and Flexibility
- Language English
- Other languages (eg. Subtitles) no other languages
- Period of activation Periodicaly opened
- Date Aucune information
- Duration 8 weeks
- Level of commitment required 2 - 3 hours/week
- Cost Aucune information * Détails sur la plateforme
- Providing institution University of Washington
- Mooc Platform edX
- Target group Aucune information
- Instructor Clayton Cook
- Level of assistance offered Social and instructor support on discussion forum.
- Keywords Adaptability and flexibility, communication, self evaluation, resilience, stress control