Reinvent Yourself: Unleash Your Creativity
Leading companies look for innovative thinking in new hires and for career advancement. Yet only 1 in 4 of us feels truly creative. Time to reinvent yourself and unleash the creativity lying dormant in all of us.
- Welcome! Before you begin…
- Topic 1 – Introduction
- Topic 2 - Problem: Defining and Phrasing
- Topic 3- Identify: Frames and
- Topic 4 – Generate: Groups
- Topic 5 – Generate: Observation and Analogy Topic 6 – Generate: Reorganization and rearrangement
- Topic 7 – Generate: Lateral Thinking
- Topic 8 – Meld & Disseminate
After completing this course, we expect learners to:
- Learn to state a problem you are passionate about in such a way that it lends itself to innovative solutions.
- Identify normal linguistic frames – assumptions you almost surely bring to your problem but that limit your imagination.
- Be able to break out of frames and find alternatives.
- Know your own cognitive biases.
- Learn to use and practice using a whole toolbox of techniques for looking at your problem through a new frame.
- Use tools to solve your own and other real-life quandaries from business and medicine, such as analogy, keener observation, thinking backward, expanding the scope of a problem, breaking down a problem, reorganizing/rearranging existing ideas, getting the most from a group, and lateral thinking. Integrate your new-found innovative solutions into common critical thinking.
- Learn how to disseminate your original ideas to the world.
Learning activities include:Five multiple choice tests with unlimited attemptsParticipation in stop & think discussion forums around real-world problemsIndividual project taking a problem you are passionate about and crafting innovative solutions to it.Weekly readings (recommended but not mandatory) from Innovation Generation by Roberta Ness, available for purchase hereOptional homework exercises from Creativity in the Sciences: A Workbook Companion to Innovation Generation by Michael Goodman, Aisha Dickerson, and Roberta Ness, available for purchase hereVoting up best projects to be featured on the Course Updates page and included in an email to the class
Tests with unlimited attempts, discussions, individual project - self assessment.
- Soft skills Creativity and innovation
- Language English
- Other languages (eg. Subtitles) no other languages
- Period of activation Self-paced
- Date Aucune information
- Duration 5 weeks
- Level of commitment required 2-4 hours/topic
- Cost MOOC Gratuit, Certification payante * Détails sur la plateforme
- Providing institution University of Texas
- Mooc Platform edX
- Target group Aucune information
- Instructor Roberta Ness
- Level of assistance offered Participation in discussion forums. Verified users (those who pay): monthly group creative coaching sessions with Dr. Ness and other innovation experts, receive feedback on their projects.
- Keywords Creativity and innovation, analytical skills