The Science of Everyday Thinking. Learn how to think better, argue better, and choose better.
We will explore the psychology of our everyday thinking: why people believe weird things, how we form and change our opinions, why our expectations skew our judgments, and how we can make better decisions. We?ll discuss and debate topics such as placebos, the paranormal, medicine, miracles, and more.
This course will explore everyday thinking: why people believe weird things, how we form and change our opinions, why our expectations skew our judgements, and how we can make better decisions.
Structure of the course
Episode 1 - A taste
Episode 2 - Illusions
Episode 3 - Know thyself?
Episode 4 - Intuition and rationality
Episode 5 - Learning to learn
Episode 6 - The experiment
Episode 7 - Finding things out
Episode 8 - Extraordinary claims
Episode 9 - Health claims
Episode 10 - Applied thinking
Episode 11 - Exploit the situation
Episode 12 - Change the world
- The scientific method and its use in everyday life
- Tools for improving your everyday thinking
- Tips and tricks for changing people’s minds
- Techniques for learning and retaining information longer
- How to distinguish fact from fiction
Course based on:transmission of contents through video, documents quizzes (ten multiple choice questions based on the videos)discussion among the participants individual ‘homework’ (participants share a video or photo)
The learning outcomes are evaluated by tests.At the end of each episode is quiz (ten multiple choice questions) based on the videos. The final exam” is in Episode 12 based on all of the material in the course.Final grade in the course will depend on: taking part in the discussion, completing the surveys, uploading assignments, the results of all quizzes and the final exam.To earn a certificate - an overall score of at least 65%. Certificate (99$)
- Soft skills Learning to learn
- Language English
- Other languages (eg. Subtitles) no other languages
- Period of activation Self-paced
- Date Aucune information
- Duration 12 weeks
- Level of commitment required 2 hours per week
- Cost MOOC Gratuit, Certification payante * Détails sur la plateforme
- Providing institution The University of Queensland, Australia
- Mooc Platform edx
- Target group Course o is open to anyone - don’t need any previous education or experience.
- Instructor Jason Tangen, Matthew Thompson, Emma MacKenzie
- Level of assistance offered Availability of tutorsPossibility of discussion among the participants
- Keywords Critical thinking, techniques for learning, learning to learn