Succeed in the workplace
Do you want to change jobs? Are you just starting in the job market? Are you returning to work after a break? If so, this course will help you explore career opportunities by starting from you, not the job.
You'll start this course by looking at yourself, to explore career opportunities. As you progress you will gain the skills to write strong CVs and application forms, and to handle different types of interviews. By the end of the course you will have made a start on your own realistic and robust action plan to enable you to find a job that will fulfil your aspirations and suit your lifestyle. You’ll use plenty of real-life examples to help with this and get plenty of opportunities to practise your new understanding and skills.
Part of this practice will be the weekly interactive quizzes, of which Weeks 4 and 8 will provide you an opportunity to earn a badge to demonstrate your new skills. You can read more on how to study the course and about badges in the next sections.
Introduction and guidance
Week 1: Start planning your career
Week 1 practice quiz
Week 2: Understanding your skills and abilities
Week 2 practice quiz
Week 3: Exploring available opportunities
Week 3 practice quiz
Week 4: Considering work experience and voluntary work
Week 4 compulsory badge quiz
Week 5: Social and employment networking
Week 5 practice quiz
Week 6: Creating strong job applications
Week 6 practice quiz
Week 7: Presenting your ‘best’ self at interview
Week 7 practice quiz
Week 8: Planning your next steps
Week 8 compulsory badge quiz
After completing this course you will be able to:
- reflect on your interests and values and how these are relevant to your career choice
- understand the value of your networks in career planning
- develop the skills to write strong job applications and CVs
- recognise different interview situations and questions, and know how to approach these
- produce a realistic personal action plan.
We recommend that you keep a notebook to record your responses to the activities throughout the course. There are also several tables and documents which are useful to work on directly and keep. We’ve collected these together in the Resource pack, which you can download. You can either work on this directly and store it on your computer or print it out and fill it in by hand.
cMooc (based on discussion among the participants and creation of contents)
Part of the practice will be the weekly interactive quizzes, of which Weeks 4 and 8 will provide you an opportunity to earn a badge to demonstrate your new skills.
- Soft skills Communication, Self evaluation, Leadership
- Language English
- Other languages (eg. Subtitles) Aucune information
- Period of activation Self-paced
- Date Aucune information
- Duration 8 weeks
- Level of commitment required 24 hours total, 3 hours a week
- Cost Gratuit * Détails sur la plateforme
- Providing institution The Open University
- Mooc Platform OpenupEd
- Target group Do you want to change jobs? Are you just starting in the job market? Are you returning to work after a break? If so, this course will help you explore career opportunities by starting from you, not the job.
- Instructor Aucune information
- Level of assistance offered Not mentioned
- Keywords Self-evaluation, communication, marketing yourself, networking, job applications, job interview